Thursday, April 10, 2008

Paris


I spent the 7-9 in Paris, and I was able to see so many lovely things. Here is a picture in the Tulliers Gardens in front of the Eiffel tower. This is the only picture I have so far, but hopefully I will have more soon!

Tuesday morning we went to the Sacre Coeur (sp?). The cathedral was not only beautiful - it seemed that the people there were truly there to worship God. They posted what I believe was from Pope Benedict XVI´s Truth and Tolerance. It said: "To be orthodox, therefore, meant: to know and to practice the right way in which God wishes to be glorified. It refers to worship and, on the basis of worship, to life." I am not sure if this is the right passage, but I am going to be searching for it.

Then we went to Musee d´Orsee, which I loved. After that, we went to the Eiffel Tower, which was quite impressive. Then we went to the Arc de Triumph and had some great crepes. After walking 15 miles that day, we were exhausted and returned to the hostel. We washed clothes at the Laundromat down the street, which was quite an experience . . . but I am very thankful to have clean clothes.

Wednesday we went to the Louvre, which I really liked. I enjoyed seeing all of the sculptures and artifacts, and, of course, the Mona Lisa. Then we went to Notre Dame and Le Jardin de Luxembourg. We went to La Defense, the new empty box-like office building, and then we had a wonderful French meal.

We had been eating for about 4 Euro each day, which was great, so we decided to have our first (and probably only) sit-down meal in Europe. I had salmon and spinach, and it was delicious. I have mostly been eating baguettes with ham and cheese, so it was great to have vegetables and variety.

We then walked to the Eiffel Tower at night, and it was so beautiful! At 9 p.m. it starting blinking and flashing lights, and then it lit up gold. This was the magical Paris I was waiting for.

I am now in Madrid, and I am leaving tomorrow for Barcelona! Thank you for your prayers. I will keep you updated!

3 comments:

laura said...

4 euros a day! I'm impressed

Nancy said...

Many years from now you'll read these posts and think, "Wow, I really did all that!"

That's what I think: "Wow, Julia is really doing all that!"

Again, I say, "Wow!!"

Peggy Johnson said...

How enchanting! You all are absolutely amazing! What beautiful experiences!

Love, Mom